Tuesday, February 26, 2013

No 'Poo: Too Green Even for Me!

I was reading my Kiwi Magazine last night (ahh, a chance to sit down and relax!) and came across an article about an increasingly popular movement called No 'Poo.  It's not what it sounds like.  By "poo" they're talking about shampoo.  It's a movement in which you stop washing your hair. I tried something similar a few Christmases ago.  My brother-in-law didn't believe me when I said my hair would look disgusting if I washed it every other day.  Because I see him about every day for a week during the Christmas season because of all of our family gatherings, I was able to to a day without washing and show it.  I pulled out the ponytail holder, showed him my hair and was immediatly asked to put it back up in the pony tail.  He agreed.  My hair was disgusting when I skip a day of shampooing.  So the idea that people have totally given up shampooing their hair altogether was intriguing.  I did a little more research and here's the deal: Besides the wastefulness of the packaging, the harmful chemicals in some shampoos and the TIME it takes to wash your hair, shampoo strips the oil from your hair--duh!  But because it strips the oil, your hair (scalp) works harder to make MORE oil to compensate.  When you stop using shampoo and stripping the oil from your hairb it will eventually balance out (which can take weeks or even a few months!) and you'll have beautiful hair, naturally.  Now, the No Pooers don't TOTALLY ignore their hair.  Many use a baking soda and apple cider vinegar solution sporatically (the Kiwi Article said she did the combo every 4 days).  In theory, I love this!  As those who know me know--I LOVE vinegar and baking soda!  I hate getting ready in the morining and the idea of something that 's greener AND saves me a ton of time in the bathroom sounds like a match made in heaven...but as interested as I am, I don't think I can do it.  I'd love to try, but I just think my hair would be WAY too gross after just a few days to even feel comfortable going out in public.  Could YOU do it?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not down with it, but I know some people who are. They all say there's a period where your hair is just FOUL, but then as the oils and whatnot balance out, it starts to be softer and healthier and prettier than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might be willing to try it if that adujstment period weren't so long...and gross!

    ReplyDelete