Friday, February 15, 2013

Recipe Friday: Eat your Veggies!

Last weekend we celebrated Ellie's birthday with family.   My stepmom brought a veggie tray  to the party and when it was over, almost everything was gone.  Except the cauliflower.  It's not the favorite in my house.  (I found out later Ellie wasn't eating it because she didn't think she was allowed to dip it in the veggie did because there wasn't a picture of cauliflower on the tub.) So I had a lot of leftover cauliflower. 

I've been trying REALLY hard to decrease our grocery bill.  I've read a few articles online giving tips to help stretch your grocery budget and the best advice I've found is "Don't Throw Out Food."  This may seem obvious, but really, I was throwing out a lot of food.  I may need celery for a recipe, but then it just sits in the fridge until it goes all wilty and gross. Now I make a point to send ants-on-a-log (NOT the recipe of the day!) with the kids for lunch.  Or parsley.  I needed 2 TBPS for a recipe, but then the rest sat in the bag and got slimey.  Now I mince it all, use what I need and freeze the rest to use in soups or other recipes that call for parsley that's going to be cooked.

So these two problems collide--lots of cauliflower--don't throw out food.  I need to find something do do with the cauliflower.  Of course you can always steam it and dump a whole bunch of Velveeta on it, but I'm trying to do a more whole food approach.  I decided to roast it.  I could have gone the other route and steamed it, pureed it and added salt pepper and a little butter, but that seemed like too much work for a weekday afternoon.

Roasted Cauliflower

Olive oil
leftover cauliflower florets
seasoning

Preheat oven to 425.  Spread florets on a baking sheet lined with foil and spray lightly with olive oil.  Sprinkle with seasoning (I used Penzey's Turkish Seasoning, but anything will work.)  Roast for 20 minutes or until cauliflower is tender, tossing occasionally.  Throw some shredded cheese on there if you really want to.  Relish in the fact that you just ate a serving of veggies, and didn't waste a bit of that veggie tray!

1 comment:

  1. Your aunt cuts the celery into stalks, puts them in a glass of water, and leaves them in the fridge at eye level so every time you open the fridge you grab a stalk and munch away. Uses up the celery and tastes great!

    ReplyDelete