Thursday, August 21, 2014

Recipe Friday: Shitake Lettuce Cups

I LOVE this recipe!  This was one of the first recipes I wanted to try for Vegan Cooking for Carnivores by Roberto Martin.  As I've said before, I'm a big fan of Asian cooking and these were right up my alley.  They were pretty easy to make, once you did all the chopping.  The ingredient list is kind of long, but I didn't think there was anything too exotic.  The kids (except Caden) were intrigued to try them because of the lettuce cup "wrapper".  I cut the recipe in half and, sadly, didn't have a bite left over for lunch the next day! (I also omitted the Sriracha hot sauce because I didn't have any and I didn't want it to be too spice for Livvy.)



Shitake Lettuce Cups


Filling

1 TBSP high heat oil, such as safflower or grape seed
1/2 red onion, diced small
1 lb shitake mushrooms, stems removed, roughly chopped (Giant Eagle at the Strip has these in bulk if your'e local)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 TBSP minced or finely grated fresh ginger
2 fat carrots, peeled and grated
1/4 C lower sodium soy sauce mixed with 1/2 tsp Sriracha hot sauce (or more if you like it spicy)
1/4 C raw pine nuts or blanched almonds
1 1/2 C organic bean sprouts, roughly chopped
1 bunch scallions, green parts only, minced
10 large, fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro (leaves and stems), Minced

Lettuce Cups

2 heads Boston Bibb lettuce or iceberg lettuce, washed (I used Bibb)

Dipping Sauce

1/2 C low sodium soy sauce
1/4 C water
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp agave nectar

Prepare the lettuce cups:  

Carefully remove the round cup-shaped leaves and stack them on a plate.  you'll need at least 12 good leaves.  Cover with a damp paper towel and refrigerate.

Make the Dipping Sauce:

Whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and set aside.

Make the filling:

Heat a large sauté pan over high heat, (this book always says that but I always use medium heat--maybe gas VS electric?? not sure but I've burned things following the cook on high directions).  Add the oil and wait until it shimmers.  Add the onion and sauté until translucent.  Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring until they are soft and wilted, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic, ginger, and grated carrots and cook 2 minutes more.  Mix in the remaining ingredients and transfer the mixture to a large serving bowl.  Serve in the middle of the table with the cold lettuce leaves and dipping sauce on the side.

Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment