Monday, June 10, 2013

Local Meat, Dairy and Produce

I've been talking to a friend of mine how joined the Fresh Fork Market and got her first bag of goodies this week.  I'm debating joining too and my online research has bumped me around to a few good resources I thought I'd share.

I stumbled across this one when I was looking for the name of the dairy farm that we drive by every time we go to my mother-in-laws house.   I didn't find the farm, but I did find the website of one of my mom's line dancing friend's husband's chiropractic practice.  (I think that's the relationship.  Somehow there's a connection between line dancing and this clinic.) It's a list of local meat, egg and dairy farms in the surrounding Canton area.  (Not cool for Cecilie in LA or Lindsay in Denver, but cool for those of us around the big city of Canton, OH!)

There's also a link to local farmer's markets.  I've been obsessively playing with the Weelicious app on my phone at night when the kids are "in bed" (oddly there is a lot of pitter patter, no, thumping, when they're supposed to be in bed.  Also Olivia is up.  Olivia is always up.)  I love how each of her recipes has a story with it, sometimes about the recipe, sometimes just about something remotely connected to it.  It makes it more personal.  She has tons of videos, ok, I blogged about this already and I'm not going to go on and on about it.  I could just imaging Evan's eyes glazing over if I was talking to him instead of typing.  She's always going talking about the great stuff she gets at her farmers market.  NOTHING like what I have!  I realize that she lives in California, which produces much more produce than Ohio, saying nothing about  the difference in the growing seasons.  I have all these recipes that call for yellow beets--I've NEVER seen yellow beets at the grocery store and the farmer's market isn't much better.  I wish that I could go to a REAL market.  Ahhh, enough complaining!  I need to be positive!  A few years ago I'd never heard of a farmer's market and now I have a few to choose from.  The food culture is changing and more and more farmers markets are popping up and the selection around me keeps getting better and better.  I just have to be patient!

No comments:

Post a Comment