Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Chop Chop Magazine

I could have sworn I'd posted about this before, but I did a search on my blog and it didn't turn up, so sorry if I'm repeating myself.  If this were a video blog you'd understand why I *might* not be on top of things all the time.

So Chop Chop magazine.  I heard about it on Twitter from Michael Pollan's tweet.  It's a healthy eating magazine targeted at kids.  I promptly forgot about it.  When I was at the library and noticed that they had copies to check out I was super excited!  I wasn't disappointed!  I was, however, surprised
how kid-oriented they are.  They're actually really more of a kid publication than adult.  All the recipes are based on the MyPlate healthy eating ideal and each recipe has a key at the top which shows how many categories of the MyPlate it contains.  The recipes are kid friendly, both in content and preparation.  There are also articles which I found interesting, but are also good for a kid.  I really liked the one on radishes.  It showed how to grow radishes, how to prepare them to eat and a little info about them.  Pretty cool!  There are lots of pictures of kids and they use the kids' names, which I think does a great job personalizing the content.  It's not just some kid chopping onions, it's Johnny chopping onions.  (Actually Aiden, or Evan or some other name that's popular right now.)

The bad thing is that it's only a quarterly publication!  Also, my kids are still a little young to really enjoy it.  But I'm really enjoying it!  I'm reading back issues and I particularly like the one where Grover goes to the White House to meet the chef.  That's mostly because I'm a Sesame Street fan.  So here's the site if you want to check it out.  I have two of the back copies from the North Canton Library, but I left some on the shelf if you want to check them out there.  From their website:

OUR MISSION

ChopChopKids is an innovative non-profit organization whose mission is to inspire and teach kids to cook real food with their families. We believe that cooking and eating together as a family is a vital step in resolving the obesity and hunger epidemics.

No comments:

Post a Comment