Friday, July 12, 2013

Recipe Friday: Tofu Triangles and Asian Dipping Sauce

I found this recipe in a book I think I've mentioned before, the Whole Family Cookbook.  I've made it twice and I think I can say its my new favorite.  I've pressed tofu before, but the way this recipe instructs really works! The dipping sauce would be good with chicken too so this is a great recipe for a vegetarian/ omnivore family like mine.



Crispy Tofu Triangles with Asian Dipping Sauce


2 pkgs of extra-firm tofu
3 TBSP canola oil

Sauce:
2 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP sesame oil
1/2 TBSP honey, agave nectar or brown sugar
1 TBSP rice vinegar
1 clove garlic
fresh chives to taste
chile oil, optional (I didn't add it)

Drain the tofu.  Cut it into 1/3 inch thick slices, then again into triangles.  Line a baking sheet with a clean dish towel.  Arrange the triangles on the sheet.  Top with another towel and place another baking sheet on top.  Put something heavy on the top pan.  ( I used the blender because it was literally the closest thing to grab.) Let sit an hour. **This is the key.  I've never done more than 15 minutes.  This really gets the water out. 

Mix all sauce ingredients together.

Add oil to large frying pan over medium-high heat.  Add the triangles and cook until golden on each side.  Drain on paper towels.

Dip triangles into sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment