Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Snow Day!

It started last night.  I could see the flakes floating down in the glow of the street light outside my house.    This morning it covered the ground, blanketed the rooftops and defined all the tree branches with a white outline.  The first snow of the season.  I love it so much!  There's something so magical about the first snowfall.  It's like and old friend you haven't seen in months.  Of course by the time spring rolls around you're exceedingly sick of that old friend, but in November there's nothing like big fluffy flakes, soup for dinner and a cup of tea (or a Gingerbread Latte because by the time the snow falls I'm sick of Pumpkin Spice!).

Vince has already been outside.  Being the little brother, he's never without a hand-me-down winter coat and boots so he was all ready to play in the snow--except for the snow pants.  Not sure what happened to Caden's old pair, but since he's a GIANT he was able to wear Ellie's.  Let me tell you--my kid was looking GOOD in his orange coat, pink snow pants and red boots!  Olivia was content to stay inside, which is good since she doesn't go out unless I go out and as much as I love the first snow, I love to watch it from inside, not outside.  Jack was my wild card.  He was born in March in Alabama, then came to Ohio at the end of April so I was pretty sure he'd never seen snow before.  With his short coat I was afraid he'd hate it, but I was so WRONG!  He ran like a wild man out there!  Around and around the yard, leaping and bouncing.  It made my morning (and Olivia's too- she LOVES "Jack-Jack") to watch my little boys having so much fun in the snow.

The best part about this first hit of cold is that I get to use my new furnace.  It still smells a little new, like the first time you turn it on after it's been off for awhile.  I'm excited to see how my gas bills change  this winter with the newer, more efficient furnace.  Of course, we won't be finishing the winter here at this house, but that will be interesting too, since our new house is a different kind of heating altogether--steam.  I've heard that steam is the most efficient heat and I'm excited to see if that's true.

So if you're in my neighborhood, enjoy the snow, if you're in LA, for example ( :) Cecilie!) You'll have to make do with a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment