Monday, December 10, 2012

It's Not Who You Are Underneath, But What You Do That Defines You

I've been watching a lot of Batman.  A lot of Superman and a lot of Spiderman.  All of them.  I think I can say Batman Begin's is my favorite.  So as I was thinking about having my kids pick a charity to donate to this Christmas, this line popped into my head.  I think it's pretty true.  I can sit here and blog all day about getting rid of toxins in your home and food, lessening your carbon footprint and protecting the planet, but unless I also DO something, I'm not making much of a difference.

I always have the kids pick something for each other and go shopping to get it, but this year I just can't brave the stores.  Two of them are in school, which makes it hard to get away with only one or two to shop for the others, we're in the height of wrestling season which sucks up all day Sunday and 6 hours during the week....blah blah blah, I'm busy.  So I've been shopping online for almost all of the gifts this year.  That, of course, means that picking out a gift for your sister means telling mom something while you're playing Angry Birds.  It's not *quite* the gift giving that I'm trying to cultivate this holiday season. SO, I'm going to select 3 charities that I think the kids would be interested in, let them choose one, then donate somehow-either just money or goods.  (Not time.  I don't think there's an organization out there that wants me to bring my 4 kids to "help".)  In the book, Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, I read that 80% of children's dreams are about animals.  This was in reference to a study done by ad agencies, trying to gain knowledge about kid's psyche to help sell to them, but I think it's also a good indicator of which charities they may be most interested in supporting. So I'm going to make a case to the kids for 3 different animal charities.



1. Stark County Humane Society.
A few years ago we went there with some supplies at Christmas time.  I blogged before about how sad it was to see so many homeless pets, but it's still a worthy cause, in my opinion.  We spent a lot of time there this summer looking at the cats, hoping to find Meg, so I feel like they're pretty familiar with it as well.  Also, it's easy.  We can run to the store, pick up some items from their wish list and drop it off.

2. Akron Zoo
We LOVE the Akron Zoo!  It's not really a charity, but it's a privately funded zoo, so they're always in need of funds.  We're zoo members, we've done zoo summer camps, we visit a lot when the weather is warm...it's a great little zoo that you can see in a short amount of time.  It's something we can do for the day, but doesn't take up the ENTIRE day.  Plus, it's pretty close to us. Instead of just donating money to the zoo, I think I'll give the kids the option of "Care for a Critter" where you sponsor a specific animal.  You get a picture and fact sheet, so you can actually see the animal you're sponsoring.  You can pick any animal at the zoo so that would be another vote, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

3. The Wilderness Center
This is a Nana place.  Nana's a fan of the Wilderness Center and we've gone hiking on the trails with her, to classes and to the Enchanted Forest.  It's not far from us (are you seeing a theme with my local charities?!) and the kids always have fun when they go.  (Except for that class you took Caden to, Mom.  I know that wasn't much fun.  For you anyway.) You can just donate to the center, of course, but I think what all tell the kids is that you can also plant a tree in someone's name.  It's usually an occasion, (birth, death, marriage, graduation) but you can do it just for as well.  It's important to plant more trees to help the environment, makes homes for more animals, all that stuff.  I think they'd like the idea that THEY had a tree at the Wilderness Center.  We could also put it as a memorial for Brodie, or for Olivia's birth.  Or whatever else they think of.

When they get home the Christmas tree will be here and I think we'll discuss which one to choose as we decorate.  I'm envisioning a lively conversation as we all help to put on ornaments with Christmas music playing in the background, but I know in reality, there will be a Wii game on, at least two of them refusing to help put any ornaments on, coats and backpacks thrown everywhere and me nagging them to focus and make a choice about which one they want.  Before I start the "Hurry Up!" routine of every evening in which we have to quickly eat dinner so we can get to that night's activity.  Busy.  Hence no shopping at stores.  But for the moment, I'll cling to my imaginary family Christmas moment.  I guess the only important thing is that the kids are getting the idea of giving for the sake of giving. It's not who you are underneath, but what you DO that defines you.  Thank you for that wisdom, Rachel Dawes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment