Monday, December 17, 2012

Perspective (#Todayistheday)

I was going to blog about a reusable product website I found.  I thought about blogging about how my hair is falling out like it always does after I give birth.  I thought about blogging about preparing for Christmas.  But I'm not going to blog about any of that.  Because it doesn't matter.  All that matters is that my kids got off the bus on Friday.  I didn't care if Caden got in trouble.  I didn't care if Ellie came home with food from someone else's lunch and her's entirely uneaten.  They came home.  Alive.  I'm lucky.  20 other parents weren't so lucky. 

I felt helpless.  I lied to Ellie, again.  When she asked me if this could happen at her school I told her no, but it could.  I'm using it as a learning experience for Caden, who seems to think guns are super cool right now and really wants Call of Duty for Christmas. (He's NOT getting it, by the way.)  I'm trying to get across to him that guns aren't cool.  Guns cause death.  Period.  There's no other reason to have a gun other than to shoot something, or someone.

President Obama said, "Are we prepared to say that such violence visited on our children year after year after year is somehow the price of our freedom?"  I said no.  Other moms have too.  If YOU feel helpless and if YOU fear for the safety of your child, my children and millions of other kids, sign the letter to the NRA and congress at www.momsrising.org
"We are parents.  Many NRA members are parents.  And none of us want to live in a nation where children are gunned down.  Today is the day for the NRA and for Congress to step up and start proposing laws that protect children and all people.

*Sign on to our open letter to the National Rifle Association (NRA) and to Congress urging them to make today the last day that they block common sense gun regulations that protect all of our families."

 I don't want to lie to Ellie to tell her that this can't happen at her school.  I don't want to be like any of those 20 parents.  I want my kids to come home every day from school.  Alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment