Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Repeating Myself

I was all set to write a blog today about what "All Natural" means on packaging when I realized I already did a post about that.  I considered writing yet another post about it, but instead I'll just link to the last one and expand upon it a little.  (OK in linking I realized that I actually already did TWO on it.  I'm losing it!)  I was just shopping at Wal-Mart (I really hate that I'm shopping there.  It's the holidays and I'm trying to cut corners where I can...even if it means comprising my values a little.  Wow, that sounds bad!)  and I was looking for an organic peanut butter. I know Smuckers makes one so I was hoping that they at least carried that, but they don't.  Although they have a TON of all natural brands.  As I've said before, that's kind of a bogus claim.  "The Food and Drug Administration, the agency that oversees packaged food labeling in the United States, has no definition of what counts as "natural." As long as a food labeled "natural" doesn't contain added color, artificial flavor or synthetic substances, the agency doesn't object."  I was kind of disillusioned with the availability of organic products.  I thought that because Target and Giant Eagle were carrying more and more items, so would other stores.  I WAS able to get organic apples and Stonyfield yogurts, but I was sad that there weren't more options out there. 
I also got some Annie's Bunny crackers--my kids LOVE these--for a GREAT  price!  I was surprised to see them on the shelf and it wasn't until I got home that I realized they weren't organic, like the ones I get at Giant Eagle and the Raisin Rack.  They are made with organic wheat, but the whole cracker isn't certified organic, the the other ones.  Guess that explains the price difference!

Again, here's the link to an blog I already did on this topic, but pomegranates are back in the stores and they're SOOOO good!  I just cut one open for lunch for Vince and I.  My kitchen looks like a murder scene with all the splattered juice, but I got about 2 cups of seeds from one fruit! 



No comments:

Post a Comment