Thursday, December 6, 2012

Olivia's Doctor Visit: Time to Revisit Babyfood

Miss Olivia had her 4 month doctor check-up yesterday.  She's average for height and weight and got all 4 vaccinations.  Nothing too exciting there.  However, the doctor did tell me that it was time to start "playing with a spoon."  Uggg.  Are were there ALREADY?  I think I started Caden on solid food around 3 months at the suggestion of the doctor.  I was eager to try this new stage of babyhood with him and looking back, struggled where I should have just given up.  He wasn't ready, but I didn't realize it and continued to make a mess of both him and me at our nightly "feedings".  Now, this will shock you if you know Caden, but he was kind of a difficult child to start on solids.  He was a horribly messy eater. 

We used to strip him down to his diaper, feed him, then take him directly to the tub.  (He's still a sloppy eater.  He manages to get food all over his face at almost every meal.  He's almost 8.)  I needed rules and guidelines with him and there just aren't really a whole lot when it comes to starting solid food.  I was baffled when he was done with baby food, but not quite ready to eat exactly what we were eating.  There wasn't a shelf of "toddler food" and I didn't know what to do.  So when it was time for Ellie to start solids, I was dreading it.
So much in fact that when the doctor recommended starting solids with her at 4 months (different doctor, different time frame) I was so dreading it, in fact, that I put it off until she was 6 months.  And I was amazed how different it was.  She could do it.  She could actually take the food from the spoon, swallow it, and open her mouth for more.  There wasn't the hands in the mouth to help suck down the food.  It was much cleaner and more pleasant for both of us.  (Actually, I don't think Caden cared that he was a mess.) I had started making most of her baby food and I was really enjoying the whole feeding process with her.

I'm glad I enjoyed it, because I don't really think she's eaten since.  Well, except breakfast.  She does love her breakfast food! 

So then there was Vince.  I was glad looking forward to feeding Vince.  By this time, I pretty much "got" it.  I didn't even bother to start with him until he was over 6 months old.  I didn't feed him the powdered cereal that the doctor recommends, but rather made him rice cereal as well as all of his babyfood.  Being the easy-going kid that he is, he ate everything, neatly and happily. 


So we're back in the saddle.  I think I'm going to wait with Olivia too.  She might be ready, developmentally, but I'm not ready, physically.  We're out and about so much, it's just going to be easier to wait until she's a little older.  Boob is so much more portable and less messy than pureed food.  She's gaining weight, she gets all the nutrients she needs from breastmilk--why mess with it?  I'm no longer excited to start solids and then next phase of babyhood, like I was with Caden, I'm not scared to start, like I was with Ellie, and I don't have anything to prove to myself, like I did with Vince.  I'm just going to keep my little baby little for a short bit more.  I only have a year with her as a baby.  The days are long, but the years are short...But yes, I'll be blogging about making babyfood again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment