Thursday, May 22, 2014

Gardening: In The Yard and In A Book

I haven't blogged in awhile and it's because I'm exhausted.  I've been out in the yard, weeding, edging, spreading mulch--everyone's FAVORITE part of yard work.  I say I like to garden, and I do, but I like to plant and water and harvest, not fill trash bag after trash bag with dandelions.  When it's all done, it will look presentable, not the embarrassment that our yard is in it's current state.  I'm gaining a lot of motivation from my current book, Michael Pollen's Second Nature : A Gardener's Education.  I love Michael Pollen's books.  They always make me think and feel like I'm reading to broaden my mind, not just be entertained.  After my last string of novels that kept me on the couch instead of doing what I needed to be working on, I decided Second Nature would be a good pick for me.  I enjoy reading it, but I'm able to put it down.  When I'm thinking about it when I'm not reading it, I'm just pondering some ideas he's presented, not wondering what will happen next in the story.  It's a nice change of pace for me.  Any who,  his reflections on the way we as a culture garden, think about gardens and even weeds has been a constant in the back of my mind as I pull dandelion after dandelion and shovel more and more mulch.
He talks about the gardens of his childhood, the way we suburbanites worship the concept of "lawn" and journals his trials and tribulations over creating his own gardens.  Of course it IS a Michael Pollen book, so there's quite a bit of research and philosophy that also goes into it, which is what I like about his books.  I got tips about how to plant seedlings as well as a theoretical discussion of trees.  I find his books inspiring, and this one is no different.  Not only do I want to go out in my yard and work, I also want to work to make a smoother balance between man and nature.  I guess that's what living a green life is striving to do in general--find that perfect balance.  I've felt so sluggish lately in my daily greening and reading this book at a time when I can actually get outside and WORK has helped to motivate me again.  As I'm tearing out shrubs and pruning back bushes, I can think about the grander scheme of what it means to garden.  Or I can stop what I'm doing every 10-15 minutes to change a diaper, break up a fight or retrieve a shoe that Jack stole right off of someone's foot.  Even though I don't live a life that allows for a lot of time for philosophizing or introspection, I can grab the minutes I still have and reflect on my place in nature--then go back to being a mom.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I work for the company that produces Mutual of Omaha’s aha moment campaign; check out www.mutualofomaha.com/aha to see what an aha moment is and the incredible stories we’ve filmed over the last several years.

    For the 5th year, we’re taking our 34-foot Airstream mobile film studio on the road again for the 2014 Aha Moment Tour, visiting 20 cities across America to capture inspirational, life-changing aha moments from folks all over the country. We are headed to Canton, OH on June 26th and 27th and would love to invite you to share an aha moment, and how your life has changed since. It can be about your work, your family or other life experiences. You would just have to step into the Airstream studio for a few minutes and tell your story on film to our tour producer. Your video will then be posted to www.mutualofomaha.com/aha, where you will be able to share it with your friends and family via email, Facebook and Twitter!

    On June 26th and 27th from 10am to 6pm, we will be parked at the Pro Football Hall of Fame, 2121 George Halas Drive NW, Canton, OH 44708. Here is a map link to the location: https://goo.gl/maps/C9tW5

    We’d love to have you. Let me know as soon as possible and I can reserve your time slot.

    Many thanks!

    Rachel Clark
    tour@ahamoment.com

    See the 2014 Aha Moment Tour page: ahamoment.com/tour
    View aha moment videos: youtube.com/myahamoment
    Follow the tour:
    twitter.com/myahamoment
    facebook.com/myahamoment
    instagram.com/myahamoment

    ReplyDelete