Thursday, May 15, 2014

Recipe: Guacamole

Tomorrow is Recipe Friday, but it's also Vince's field trip to the farm, so I doubt I'll have time to blog.    I wanted to post this recipe since we just had it for Mother's Day and I'd forgotten how GOOD it is!  It's awesome just as a dip or as a topping for tacos, nachos, quesadillas, burritos, whatever.  It's pretty easy to make, if you don't take into account all the chopping.  I had Vince help me by tearing the leaves off the cilantro and putting them into a mini prep.   We had VERY minced cilantro in our guac, but it was still AWESOME.  I got this recipe from The Bride And Groom Cookbook, which I knew would be fantastic since almost every recipe in there is.



Guacamole


1 medium ripe (soft to the touch) avocados, halved
1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro
1 TBSP fresh lime juice
3 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp finely minced jalapeño chile
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp ground cumin

tortilla chips for serving (unless you're making this alone, in which case you can just go ahead and eat it with a spoon--no one will see.)

Using a metal spoon, scoop out the avocado flesh, releasing it from the peel.  Remove the pit.  Put the flesh in a medium bowl and lightly mash with a fork.  Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.  Season to taste with more lime juice, jalapeño and salt, if necessary.

**This is best made and served immediately.  When avocado hits the air it turns black--tastes just as fantastic but looks horrible.  If you NEED to prep this before you serve it, throw an avocado seed in the middle (I've heard this retards the discoloration) and cover tightly with plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment