Thursday, May 1, 2014

Hazel Artisan Bakery

Today the two youngest kids and I went to pick up our Breezy Hill produce at Hazel Artisan Bakery.  If you're not already, please sit down. Here it is...we were early. I was a little confused and unsure what to do in this situation, since it occurs so rarely with me, but the case of freshly baked cookies gave my kids some ideas.  Each kid got a whole wheat chocolate chip cookie and Vince got a Black Cherry soda (we gave Olivia a sip just to see her make the carbonation face--so mean, but so funny!)  I hated to just get snacks so I thought I'd give the Oatmeal Molasses bread a try.  They sliced it there for me, so each slice is thin and uniform, unlike when I try to slice my own bread at home and each slice seems to be at an angle.  It wasn't until we were sitting down and the kids were enjoying their cookies that I realized that I probably should have just gotten lunch for everyone there--although Cookie Lunch IS fun, it's not that healthy.  They have a light lunch menu at the bakery and although I've never eaten there, the food always looks good.  Maybe we'll give it a try next week when we pick up our produce.
Speaking of our produce, we had baby bok choy and peanut butter for lunch.  It was nice and sweet and just the right size for snacking.  SO happy with what we got from Breezy Hill!  It is all certified organic and I was a little worried about the price ($11 for 3 things seemed like a lot to me) but when I saw the quantity I got and compared it with what I would get at the Raisin Rack (which came from farther away therefore has a larger carbon footprint) I realized it's comparable, if not a little less.  Plus, I can get things (wild ramps)  that I can't at RR.
As for the bread, it was AWESOME!
Each of the kids had two slices while we waited for Breezy Hill to deliver the produce and then they split another on the way home.  I had a few as well, but rest assured there's still a large amount left for the other 3 when they get home.  I was standing there, looking at their bread selection and realized, I could switch breads.  I could get a loaf a bread here, at a local, artisan bakery for only a little more than I get a loaf of commercially produced bread at the grocery store.  The only thing that worries me is shelf life.  I need it last for a week.  However, the bakery's bread tastes so good, I don't know that it would have a chance to try and stay on the shelf (or in the fridge) for a week.  The only way to find out is to try it.  It's going to be fun trying the different kinds of breads they have to offer.
Leaving there I felt good.  I felt good about supporting a local bakery and a local farm.  I felt good about feeding my kids organic produce and fresh bread (and cookies).  I felt like today, I did something right, something green for the planet and my family.  I don't have a whole lot of those days.  I'm always thinking "big picture" when just one day where I do one or two things to live greener is just as helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment