Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Chipotle's Sofritas and KIDS MEALS!!

So basically, two thumbs up to Chipotle!  First thumb is for the kids meals and second is for their tofu.  Let me back up.  Last night Ellie's school had a fundraiser in which the Chipotle in North Canton donated 50% of their profits to her school when a customer mentioned that they were there to support Clearmount.  Win-Win for me.  I don't have to cook and I'm helping Ellie's school. Evan and I love Chipotle, but the kids struggle with it.  We used to try to get an order of 3 tacos and then try to split it between two or three kids, but no one likes the same things so we'd try to have them put everything in a different container, which never really worked because we always ordered online and something was missing or they assembled the tacos.  It was always an expensive mess because we had to order for so many people and then threw so much of it away.  Yesterday we had an excuse to give it a whirl again so I did.  And low and behold!  KIDS MEALS!!!!!  SOOO excited to see that!  And they're great!  No crap with them-just healthy food.  They have their choice of tacos (hard, soft or corn tortillas) or quesadillas with a side of fruit (clementine) or chips and a drink (Horizon's milk as our pick).  Each kid had an individual tray with 4 sections, one for taco shell, one for filling and two for toppings.  GENIUS!  Everyone was able to get what they wanted, prices were comparable to a crap-food kids meal and they actually ATE IT!  It was so much easier than trying to order like we used to.  We did discover that the steak was a little too spicy for Vince (which is odd since he likes hot sauce on his eggs) so next time we'll have to try something else for him...which leads me to Chipotle's newest filling--Sofritas! This is a fancy way to say tofu. (Yes, we read Fancy Nancy in our house.) I was a little nervous to give it a try since
I love the fajita veggies so much, but I was pleasantly surprised.  I should have know Chipolte would get it right.  So many places just throw tofu in as a substation for meat, not knowing anything about or, or not caring.  Chipotle must have had an actual vegan or vegetarian work on this because it has something amazing--flavor!  "We start with organic tofu from Hodo Soy that we shred and then braise with chipotle chilis, roasted poblanos, and a blend of aromatic spices. The result is a delicious, spicy tofu that will give vegans and carnivores something they both will love."  I agree with this.  I think people who've never tried tofu or think they don't like tofu would actually like this.  It has a grilled flavor that I haven't tasted in a long time.  Not too spicy for kids either, which is why I didn't order if for Liv.  
As I was ordering online I was reminded again about how focused Chipotle is on sustainability responsible farming.  It makes me feel good about eating there, knowing that not only is the food I'm eating and feeding my family is  in line with my beliefs, but that I'm also voting with my dollars to show other restaurants that this is where my money is going, not somewhere that gets their beef from a feedlot where cows live in absolute deplorable conditions.  (Oh no, starting to think about getting that cow again for the yard!) Here's a letter from the CEO from Chipotle's website:

No comments:

Post a Comment