Thursday, July 24, 2014

Blackening Spice

I usually do a recipe on Friday, but I think tomorrow's going to be a little busy so I'm doing one today.  I know you're probably sick of hearing about my new obsession, Vegan Cooking for Carnivores, but this was a spice that I tried last night on my sautéed tofu and I thought it would be great to share.  It's was really good on the tofu (I cubed it, sautéed it and then put it on a salad) but it would be really good on meat as well (probably chicken would be best).
The original recipe makes a TON of seasoning, so I cut the recipe in half.  I just put it all in an old ground pepper jar and sprinkled it on before I sautéed.  This has a little bit of a kick, but not overwhelming.  I gave Olivia some of the tofu last night and she loved it, so it's not too spicy for an almost-two-year-old.  I think this would also be good to add to kale chips or in the stir-frys I do for lunch (with the rice, kale and beans).

Blackening Spice

1 TBSP paprika
1 tsp cayenne
2 TBSP garlic powder
2 TBSP onion powder
1 TBSP dried thyme
2 TBSP dried oregano, crushed between your palms
1 TBSP kosher salt
1 TBSP freshly ground black pepper.

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment