Thursday, July 17, 2014

Vegan Cooking For Carnivores

I was going to blog about my houseplants and how I've been neglecting them and give some tips for how to diagnose problems in house plants, but I'm super excited about this cookbook so I figured, I've ignored the plants thus far, what's a few more days?

OK, so the cookbook.  After I did the blog about the children's book on veganism, I started thinking about eating vegan.  THEN, I remembered a cookbook my brother-in-law recommended to me after his month of eating vegan.  It's by Portia de Rossi and Ellen Degeneres's personal chef, Roberto Martin.

By brother-in-law said they LOVED this book as they transitioned from carnivore (which actually annoys me.  Human's aren't carnivores!  We're omnivores!  If you're a carnivore you eat JUST meat!  Come on people!  This is primary science class!  Sid the Science kid teaches this stuff!) to vegan.  So I checked it out at the North Canton Public Library--they NEVER fail me! I've been holding off looking through it until I could really sit down and devote some time to it.  Well, last night I did and WOW!  I'm SUPER excited to try almost everything in there!
 I'm going to buy it so that I don't use all 7 renewals from the library.  The thing I love about this cookbook is that it's "real" food.  That's what I always found so difficult about transitioning to vegetarianism.  The dishes in many vegetarian cookbooks are very ethnic, which isn't bad, but if you've never eaten a lot of middle eastern food or aren't familiar with many of the ingredients, it's a little daunting to try to cook the recipe.  These recipes are all American fare.  While they're all vegan, they're not whole foods, which is my ultimate goal, but "fake" meats are a great way to begin the vegan process.  My brother-in-law loved that Chef Roberto specifies which brands to buy which, as someone who's tried many different brands of "fake" products I know that there's a HUGE difference.   I bought all the ingredients (which are all pretty basic.) to make the Red Beans and Rice dish that my brother-in-law said was the best (the blurb by the recipe also says "If you only try one recipe from this book, this one should be it.")  I've attempted red beans and rice a few times and it's always been a bomb.  I'm excited to give this one a shot.  Then some of the other dishes that I've kind of been missing over the last 5 years (yes 5!! It doesn't seem like I've been a vegetarian that long!).  I know most people won't give this a shot, but the way I see it, is if you eat only one meal in your lifetime that's vegan, that won't make much of a difference to you, but it can make a HUGE difference to the animal that you may have consumed.  OH,and in case you were concerned about the book being preachy, it's not at all.  There's a forward and afterward by Portia and Ellen, respectively, and they both explain why they chose to be vegan, but it's really pretty much just a cookbook.  With lots of pictures. I love that!  I'll let you know how my first recipe goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment