Tuesday, July 15, 2014

My Garden: In a Container

I said I wasn't going to do a garden this year, and I haven't, but I couldn't go without doing SOMETHING.  So my mom bought me a giant pot and I put in some herbs (basil, rosemary and cilantro) and one vegetable. I knew that I had to pick something that would stay small (no vining squash) and something that I could really USE, not something that was fun to grow (carrots).  I decided on eggplant.  I realize this might be an odd choice for some people, but for me, eggplant is a summer staple.
I can sauté it for a quick, filling lunch, or grill it in steaks or on kabobs for dinner when everyone else is having meat or burgers.  I love how it takes on the flavor of what you cook it in and it's consistency is kind of meat-like which always makes me feel like I've eaten more than just vegetables for dinner.  I also liked how it grows up, allowing my other herbs to grow underneath it.  Last year my plants really produced well and I was hoping for the same this summer.  So far so good!  I've been lax about pinching my cilantro back and now I have coriander, but other than that, I'm happy with my little container.  Once we have everything done outside that we want to get done this summer, I can start to think about doing more containers next year (I'm thinking this might look pretty cool along the border of our soon -to -be patio) or just tilling up some soil for a bed beside the driveway (not very pretty, but functional).

My little container garden--and Jack.
One of two baby eggplants!
 I miss my garden from last year, being able to run out and grab a handful of lettuce or kale when I needed it, or the fresh green beans for dinner, but I have to take it one step at a time at this new house.  I'm currently filling one yard waste bag a day with brush that I've pruned from pines and shrubs that I've cut back.  Then I'll start to tackle the weeds in the backyard along the side that borders our neighbor with the tall fence (I left this to last because I know they don't have to look at the weedy mess!).   I really DO like to do yard work, and once I made a plan, it was fun again-not like it was when we first moved in and I was so overwhelmed I couldn't really seem to make a dent in any one thing.  This yard is very different from our last yard and I'm still trying to shift my paradigm of what a yard is supposed to look like to accommodate the current landscaping here.
Gardening with rocks--new to me!
With the help of my Aunt Janet's gardening expertise, and my dad's "guys" adding patios and steps, I think we'll eventually get this place looking like a yard I'm proud of.

Aunt Janet suggested the dry riverbed look.

New shrubs by the front walkway and a broader view of the "riverbed".
The weeds--NOT so proud of this.  We're getting a new patio up and
one down as well as stairs.  I refuse to weed an area that will soon be covered by concrete. 

Yard Staple--the attack dog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment