Friday, July 18, 2014

Recipe Friday: Guacamole

Tonight we're celebrating Evan, his mom and his step-dad's birthday at our house.  I'm making one of Evan's (and mine!) favorite appetizers--Guacamole!  I LOVE the guacamole from Chipotle, and I have to to say, I think this recipe is as good, if not better.  Nothing weird and vegetarian or vegan about it (although it IS both) it's just a normal guacamole recipe from my old standby cookbook Bride and Groom First and Forever.  Warning!  If you're making this for a group I recommend AT LEAST doubling the batch.  All I''m going to say is that Vince helped me make it once while we were preparing dinner.  Between Vince, Evan and I the whole batch was gone before dinner was even ready.  Vince wasn't even using chips, just a spoon.  Yes, it was gross.

 Guacamole


2 medium ripe avocados, (about 1 lb total), halved
1 plum tomato seeded and chopped
1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro
1 TBSP fresh lime juice, plus more as needed
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp finely minced jalapeño chile, plus more as needed
1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more as needed
1/8 tsp cumin
 Tortilla chips for everyone other than Vince

Using a metal spoon, scoop out the avocado flesh from the peel.  BARELY mash the flesh with a fork (I sometimes skip this step altogether because I like big chunks of avocado in my Guac. )  Add the tomato, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, jalapeño, salt and cumin and stir to combine.  Taste and season with more lime, jalapeño or salt if necessary.

**This won't keep!  It starts to turn black really fast to make it right before you're going to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment