Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Congrats to Sesame Street!

Yet another blog post that I got from Slow Food! In their newsletter they had a story about Sesame Street introducing a new character that doesn't have enough to eat. I LOVE how Sesame Street approaches topics like this! In the article talks about a one hour special that Sesame Street will air (actually already aired, sorry about the lateness!) that addresses how Lily, the new muppet, deals with growing up in a family that doesn't have enough to eat. The other muppets help her plan a food drive and also visit a community garden (yeah!).

"The special aims to address the growing problem of hunger in America, where nearly 17 million families like Lily’s have limited access to food, according to Jeanette Betancourt, the senior vice president for outreach and educational processes at Sesame Workshop. Children age six and under make up 9.6 million of those who are hungry, she said."

What a horrible statistic! It makes me think of Hell's Kitchen (I know I'm repeating myself) and how, in the name of high standards of fine dining, mass amounts of food are thrown away, simply because they're not cooked to someone's liking. It really disturbs me to watch as they throw away beef Wellington after Beef Wellington simply because it's overcooked. I can think of 9.6 million people who wouldn't complain! And the waste of resources to raise that beef that was thrown in the trash. Uggg!

So, again, I'm applauding Sesame Street. Her's a You Tube clip from the episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment