Monday, October 31, 2011

Pour Some Sugar on Me!

Ahh, Trick Or Treat. When my kids bring me home candy! I love the night of trick or treat when they got to bed and I get to pick my favorites out before they realize how much candy they actually got! Only a few more years of this, I know. Soon they'll catch on to me and account for every piece. But hopefully I will be able to control my "candy monster" urges by then. My mom gave me a newsletter from Weight Watchers that talks a little about sugar. It share some myths, like "Cane Sugar is better for you than High Fructose Corn Syrup" (your body metabolizes it all the same, so it says you should just avoid all added sugar.). It also has two facts that I thought were interesting. First, the amount of added sugar the average American gets (mostly through desserts and beverages) a day is 31 teaspoons, while the AHA suggests only 6 tsp a day for the average American woman. (Men don't get any?) The other myth I found interesting was that non-caloric sweeteners are better for weight loss than sugar. Overall, the message is don't eat sugar in any form. This of course, makes me sad. Now how will I protect my kids from the dangers of eating too much Halloween candy if I don't eat most of their candy for them??? My mother used to make us divide our candy up into two groups, eat now and eat later. The eat later bag went to Aunt Janet's and lived in her freezer until...I actually don't remember ever seeing the eat later bag again. It's probably at that farm with a family that loves it where everyone's dog-that-keeps-peeing-in-the-house lives. Maybe my kids will have to make two bags too...

No comments:

Post a Comment