Monday, October 24, 2011

Slowing Down

We had a great weekend! The weather was nice, we went to the pumpkin patch, and the kids played football outside (my daughter was wearing heels, but played football none-the-less!) It was FINALLY a relaxing and enjoyable weekend and I think it was because we didn't have any activities to do. This session (there's a sign I'm over-programmed--I think in YMCA session time!) we're going to cut back. No swimming lessons, no gymnastics classes, no soccer...just more time for us. Of course we're adding cheerleading and maybe wrestling and we're still doing Cub Scouts and dance, but for us, it's cutting back. I'm hoping this gives us a chance to stop and take a breather and enjoy life instead of constantly rushing to get to the next thing. I'm always worried my kids are going to miss some opportunity and I want them to be active. With the exception of my oldest, I never FORCE them to do activities (my oldest insists he wants to do something, then halfway through the session gets bored and doesn't want to continue.) I think it's important for them to get exercise and the organized sports are good for them socially as well. But watching them play yesterday was nice too. It was good to see them just having time to BE instead of be somewhere. I'm excited to give this new schedule a try. I suspect that my oldest might get bored, especially if he decided against wrestling after his 3 day trial camp, but it's only 6 weeks until the next session starts.
*I realize this isn't a very "green" blog entry, but I'm was thinking along the lines of creative play. You know, how it's better to give a kid blocks because they can make them into anything rather than a Dora that talks and moves because a Dora that talks and moves isn't anything but a Dora that talks and moves. I've been planning for Christmas gifts lately...

No comments:

Post a Comment