Friday, October 14, 2011

Yet ANOTHER database!

Yesterday I blogged about the Cosmetic Database (BTW, I went to to grocery to get that lotion today and OF COURSE they didn't carry it!!! THIS is why I need a smartphone! I bought another Neutrogena lotion that looked similar and didn't have parabens.)

Today I was FINALLY getting a chance to glace at my Kiwi Magazine online newsletter and I found an article about how to detox your family. It's pretty basic stuff that I already know, one being to stay away from food additives. The cool thing is, they gave a database web address for food additives! It just checked it out and it's GREAT! It's from the Center for Science in the Public Interest and it's a pretty easy site to navigate. This is the info from the home page for food additives:
"

Shopping was easy when most food came from farms. Now, factory-made foods have made chemical additives a significant part of our diet.

In general, it's best to avoid the following ingredients.

  • Sodium nitrite
  • Saccharin, Aspartame, Acesulfame-K
  • Caffeine
  • Olestra
  • Food Dyes

And don't forget to cut back on sugar and salt, which cause more harm than all the other additives combined."

Most of these I knew about, but I guess I didn't really know that last part, about sugar and salt. And that's actually great, because I can read "sugar" and "salt" on a label, whereas it's a lot harder to decipher many of the other additives (although "sugar" has so many forms now.)

It also has a chart that shows the safety of all food additives, rated similarly to the cosmetic database, and then a huge glossary of additives. So if you've ever wondered what pantothenic Acid is, now you can find out! I'm really excited to use this as a reference in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment