Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I'm a Farmer!

I finally got outside to weed since Olivia's been born.  Not as bad as I was expecting!  I got all the beds done first (special thanks to Nana for weeding the thistle patch down by the pines!) then I started in on my garden.  I really felt like I was leaving the best for last.  It's funny, because just a few years ago, I was talking to another mom about gardening.  She was saying how much she loved it, and I said I hated it.  Which I guess makes sense because gardening to me used to mean fighting a never-ending battle with overgrown beds.  My garden is so different!  I don't mind weeding the garden and I love to check and see how things are doing.  Things, as it turned out, were doing VERY well!  I pulled out the strawberry plants before Olivia was born, to make room for the  kale I'm going to plant.  This weekend I pulled out the lettuce, because I was bad about harvesting and it all bolted and was getting tough, as well as trimming back some of the vining plants that were escaping the garden into the yard and patio.  Then I harvested.
I pulled out a TON of carrots, which were kind of bitter, but I've been told that if you cook them they're better.  We'll see tonight when I make a peas and carrot recipe from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook.  I also picked some beans, peppers, squash and cantaloupe.  We ate the beans that night, with some margarine (soy free) and toasted almonds--SO good!  The cantaloupe tasted much sweeter than the big one we harvested a few days ago, and the other produce is still awaiting it's taste test.  It was so much fun piling it all up to see how much food WE GREW!  I finally felt like I was making a dent in what we actually buy from the grocery store!

No comments:

Post a Comment