Thursday, August 9, 2012

Summer Harvest

Last night we feasted on our first cantaloup from our garden!  The kids were so excited to watch it grow and when they saw me with it in the kitchen, "Is that OURS from OUR garden?!?!", they could hardly believe that we had grown it.  THIS is what I love about the garden!  This is why I felt it was important for my kids to be a part of planning, watering (which always resulted in a change of clothes and tears), watching and harvesting.

The Boys and The Cantaloup
 As we ate our dinner we all discussed what we would plant next year.  Our peppers are still producing and we're waiting for them to turn red.  Our beans look like they're almost done--we got a few good dinners from them though!  Our lettuce isn't as tender as it was in the spring, but it's still going strong!  The carrots are still a big question mark.  I'm going to pull some up this week or next week, pick some peppers and make some hummus and have veggies and dip for dinner one night. (Along with other food!  Just to be clear, I'm not JUST feeding my kids vegetables, despite what some people believe about vegetarians!)

No comments:

Post a Comment