Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Wash Your Hands For Dinner!

"I just did."
"When?"
"When I got home."
"That was 3 hours ago and you were just playing outside.  Go wash your hands."
(Child returns.)
"Did you use soap?"
"Oh."

This is a daily conversation I have with all three of my kids that are able to wash their own hands.  (Olivia isn't touching anything that contains germs that aren't hers.)  I'm not sure what the aversion is to handwashing, we have fun foaming soap, you get to play in water and climb on a stool, but I'm continaully getting, "Why?" when I ask the kids to wash their hands.  So here's why:

According to the CDC, hand-washing is the most effective way to prevent to spread of illness in most settings--and it's EASY!  I taught my kids to sing the ABC song when they wash their hands to make sure they're scrubbing for a long enough time.  The CDC says:

What is the right way to wash your hands?

  • Wet your hands with clean running water (warm or cold) and apply soap.
  • Rub your hands together to make a lather and scrub them well; be sure to scrub the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
  • Continue rubbing your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the "Happy Birthday" song from beginning to end twice.
  • Rinse your hands well under running water.
  • Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry.
 Then there's the argument about antibacterial soap.  The Minnesota Department of Health says, "Antibacterial soaps are no more effective than plain soap and water for killing disease-causing germs outside of healthcare settings. There is no evidence that antibacterial soaps are more effective than plain soap for preventing infection under most circumstances in the home or in public places.  Therefore, plain soap is recommended in public, non-healthcare settings and in the home."

I've always heard that using antibacterial soaps causes superbugs that are resistant to antibiotics, but this study says that's not proven, but there is evidence to support this theory.   I personally try not to use antibacterial soaps, just to be on the safe side. 

So I'm going to continue to wage the war on handwashing in my house and answer the question, "Why?" At least now I have a newborn I can blame, "We need to have clean hands to touch Olivia so she doesn't get sick."  I wonder how long that will work.... 

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud at the beginning of this. I go through this everyday with my son!

    ReplyDelete