Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Fall is For Planting: Garlic

My garden is officially done for the winter.  Sunday I pulled out all the dying marigolds, the dead pepper plants and the brown vines from the butternut squash.  I used my garden fork (I don't know what the real name of the thing is.  I even checked lowe.com to see if I could find one.  It has 3 prongs and a long handle.  I use it all year to weed in the garden.  It's my favorite gardening tool, yet I don't really even know what it is!) an turned all the soil over, picking out any stubborn weeds.  I used the garden rake to smooth out the soil and Evan tossed some mulched leaves on top of it all.  I have my kale still out there, but that's supposed to be good all winter long, and I want to test it out, so it stays.  I'm done gardening for the fall and I'm kind of sad.  Once I really started to garden, instead of just pull weeds that had overgrown my beds, I really enjoyed it.  But as the signs in front of the nursery up the street say, "Fall is for planting!"  So that's what I'm going to do--cling to my hobby for as long as I can!  I read on Twitter (@eartheats tweeted it) how to plant garlic.  It seems SUPER easy so I thought I'd give it a try. 
aaaa

I also really loved the website-The Art of Doing Stuff. Her style of writing as really funny, so I recommend you actually read her whole article if you get a chance.  She makes it sound pretty easy. You just get garlic at the store (organic is best because it hasn't been sprayed with anything to keep it from sprouting) then pull the head apart.    "You want to plant the garlic “root” end down.  Like so.  The bigger the clove you plant, the bigger the resulting head of garlic will be.  If you sprinkle a little oregano on top of the garlic and squeeze a tomato over everything in 9 months you’ll have grown a delicious marinara sauce.  No you won’t."  See- She's   funny, right?  You just plant the cloves in the ground 4 inches apart and cover with about 1-2 inches of dirt.  (The pointy part points up.)  Sounds easy, right?  I'm going to give it a try this weekend when the weather gets warmer.  I'm going to plant them along the side of the house in my herb garden, which really is just the bed that was already there and I've slowly added herbs.  It seems to be working pretty well so far as an herb garden, but we'll see what happens now that I've added so many more herbs this year.  Any whooo, I'll let you know how it works out at the end of next summer when it's time to harvest some garlic...just in time to ward off those Halloween Vampires!

No comments:

Post a Comment