Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I've failed as a parent

I don't know what we did wrong.   We dressed the boys in doggie outfits.  We own (ed) two dogs, Evan and I are both dog people.  I watch dog shows and can name almost every breed of dog in each group (ASCOB stands for any solid color other than black-- dog show nerd, right?).  Yet Caden's first word was "kitty", Ellie and Vince both said last week that if they could have any pet it would be a cat.  What did we do wrong?!?!  Evan and I discussed it last night and we blame Meg. 
Please to see us as usual

If she weren't so elusive and the kids didn't have to feel like they'd accomplished such a huge feat simply by being "allowed" to pet her, maybe they wouldn't feel like cats are so wonderful.  I love Meg, don't get me wrong.  I was so upset this summer when she went on her Meggie-Walk-About for 21 days.  I love Buddy, the cat next door who broke through the screen to hang out in Ellie's room this summer. But I'm a dog person at heart.   I never blogged about it, it was too hard and I cried every time I tried to sit down to write, but we had to put Brodie to sleep in April.  He was my first child.  He rode in the car with me EVERYWHERE when we lived in Columbus.  I made him a passport as an example for what my students would do when I taught a Christmas-Around-The-World unit.  It was horrible watching the tumor grow and him get weaker and weaker until finally, the pain was too much for him.  OK, getting teary so we'll leave it at that.  I love dogs.  My dogs in particular (yes, Abby, I love you no matter how weird and pesty you are!)  but dogs in general.  That's why when I got this email, I thought it was worthwhile to bring it to your attention.  (Signing up for the "free" vegetarian kit from PETA also got me a lot of "free" emails!)  It's a program PETA sponsors that provides quality dog houses for dogs that are "outside" dogs.  (I'm NOT a fan of having an "outside" dog.  I just don't really get why you would get a dog just to tie it outside.)  They build a protective shelter for the dogs to keep them warm and dry in the cold winter months and safe from the sun in the summer.  It just struck me as an interesting program--as a dog person. I'm including the link if you're interested in checking it out for yourself.  As Thanksgiving comes in a few days, I'm just thankful that I have my Meggie home again and a Rotten Sue.  And kids of course.  I'm thankful for my kids too.  The one's without fur.










No comments:

Post a Comment