Monday, November 19, 2012

KM's CSA

I'm back!  I took last week off, mostly because I couldn't get to my computer.  We had most of our house painted and when I wasn't out, trying to keep my kids and dog out of the painter's hair, I was holed up in my bedroom, the only room upstairs not being painted.  So this week, I'm going to try to make up of my week of slacking.

Last week, while jammed in my bedroom with a dog, cat and two kids, along with tables and other items from the rooms being painted, I got an email from my friend Kristin, asking my opinion on CSAs (community supported agriculture) and one in particular that she had found.  I was kind of flattered that she asked me.  I have a little experience with CSAs, but by no means am I an expert.  I was actually really excited that she brought this CSA to my attention because it seems very different from the one I did a few years ago.  I was first struck by the fact that its a WINTER CSA!  Super cool, right?  It's not hard to find summer CSAs, obviously because that's the Ohio growing season, but this winter CSA struck me as really cool.  Let me back up.  I should probably tell you the name and all that stuff.  It's called the Fresh Fork Market.
What makes it so different from CSA's that I've heard about is that they're not a farm.  They're more of a middle man.  They say it best, "Fresh Fork was founded in 2008 by four students at Case Western Reserve University.  Over the last couple years, we have modified, improved, and just simply changed our service some.   We have expanded to service home consumers and carry a wide variety of products, including cheeses, value added items, and pasture raised meats.  One thing still remains the same:  we are committed to sourcing only the best local, artisanal products.  We work directly with the producers and bring the food from the farm to our customers in a very short time.  We hold no inventory.  This assures that we have the freshest products available.I thought this was a novel idea.  It allows for more variety in your CSA share. If you look at their share options, they REALLY have a lot of different choices to fit a variety of needs.  The prices look like a lot, but I think when you break it down and compare to what you usually spend on fresh produce (and meat and cheeses in some cases) it's probably not that bad.  Plus it's fresh and local.  Not organic, but still better than mass farmed produce and it has a lot smaller carbon footprint.  The biggest downfall, for me, is that it's much farther north of Canton that would be convenient for me.  There is a Hudson drop off, oh did I mention you don't actually go to the farm (the kids really liked going to our old CSA's farm) but rather choose a drop-off point around the Cleveland area to pick up your bag? According to their website, the bag for this past week included:
Winter Week 2:

1 bone in pork shoulder roast, approx 4 lbs
1 half lb bag hardneck garlic
1 bunch carrots with tops
3 lbs sweet potatoes
1 head cabbage
1 bag broccoli shoots
1 bunch collard greens
1 bunch mustard greens

According to their pricing estimate, this would work out to be about $45 for the bag.   You'd have to eat everything to make it worth your while.    And that's what KM was wondering, do the winter or wait for the summer.  Don't like leafy greens, this might not be the best option for you.  Not a fan of rutabagas?  Wait for bell peppers in the summer.  That was the issue I had with our old CSA.  I loved the experience and the food we did get, but for 5 of us it just wasn't enough to be all the produce I got.  When I had to pay for the CSA food, as well as our usual produce, it just seemed to add too much to our grocery budget.  I'd really like to try it,but like I said, it's a little too far from us.

The other option I want to remind you about is Kent's Haymaker Winter Farmer's Market.  I blogged about it last year, and like so many other wonderful things, I blogged about it, but never went.  I would really like to get up there this year. 
"
We’re thrilled to announces the launch of the 2012 Winter Market with the first indoor market on Saturday, November 3, 2012 at Junction 211 on the corner of Cherry St. and Franklin Ave. This winter Haymaker officially becomes a year-round market open every Saturday from 10am – 1pm thru May 18, except for December 22 & 29 when it will close for the holidays.
The Haymaker Holiday Markets will also be held at Junction 211 on December 8 & 15 from 10am – 1pm.
With 20+ vendors, including three OEFFA certified organic farmers growing a wide variety of vegetables and herbs in high tunnels, and fresh baked goods including organic, gluten-free and vegan, artisan goat and cow cheeses, pastured eggs and meats, certified organic specialty grains, flours, and dry beans, handmade fresh pasta, vegan veggie patties, salsa and hot sauces, preserves, maple syrup, honey, locally roasted coffee beans, dried herb blends, soaps, lotions, candles, dried flower arrangements, and more. Enjoy ready to eat foods and hot coffees while getting knives, scissors, or tools sharpened."

I'm sure Evan would disagree, but I think this sounds like something fun our whole family could do on a Saturday.  I really do want to check it out this year.  Preferably before the snow hits, which with a high of 54 today seems like a long way off, I know that it's really just right around the corner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment