Thursday, May 31, 2012

"All Natural"?

I was standing in my kitchen, drinking a glass of Arizona Tea's Green Iced Tea and reading the label--shocker, I know.  I read the big print first, "green tea, vitamin C, antioxidant, ginseng and honey".  Then I read the back, "No preservatives, no artificial color, no artificial flavors, 100% natural".  And last, the ingredient list, "premium brewed green tea using filtered water, High Fructose Corn Syrup (Glucose-fructose syrup) honey, citric acid, natural flavors, ginseng extract, ascorbic acid (vitamin c)."  Being like I am, I got all indignent about the use of the term 100% natural in a product that contains HCFS and 3 other additives that can't be found in my kitchen.  How can they make the claim that it's All Natural when it clearly isn't--according to MY definition of what natural should be.  Tea and honey, add some ginseng if you like.  All the other stuff, that isn't all natural to me, but it is to the FDA.  According to FDA regulations a product may be labeled "Natural" if  'Nothing artificial or synthetic has been included in, or has been added to, a food that would not normally be expected in the food.'  The Huffington Post Article I got this info from  also states "Douglas Karas, a spokesman for the Food and Drug Administration, said in an e-mail it's difficult to define the term "natural" because the food has likely been processed. Although it has not developed a definition for natural, the FDA has not objected to its use if a product does not contain added color, artificial flavor or other synthetic substances, he said."

So this just kills me!!  It's difficult to define the term "natural" because the food has likely been processed?!?!!?!  Are you kidding??  If it's been processed, then it's not natural, it's processed! Before I start rambling on and being even more sarcastic, let me just end with,  be a smart consumer.  Look for the USDA organic seal if you're looking for something that truly is organic.  Read ingredient lists and look for words you can't read, or don't have in your kitchen.  Know that "Natural" on a package does not necessarily mean that the food you are about to consume is healthy for you.  Oh, and wear sunscreen.  (Sorry, that last one just slipped in there.  It's graduation time and that Baz Luhrmann song from 1997 always rattles around in my brain at this time of year!)

No comments:

Post a Comment