Friday, April 26, 2013

Recipe Friday: Cinnamon-Maple Quinoa

I found the answer to my grain problem!  I want to add more whole grains to my diet, but I don't really like just plain grains.  I tried adding some broth and seasonings, but since I'm not really very good at just adding a little of this and a little of that and having things turn out great---I had to take a different route--breakfast!  I don't know why I didn't think of this before.  I'm much more a sweet than savory kind of person and when I found this recipe for quinoa in Jessica Seinfeld's new book Double Delicious, it clicked--there's no reason I can't make this and serve it with dinner!  It has maple syrup in it so I know Ellie will eat it (she did) and since it's a Jessica Seinfeld recipe there's also pureed veggies, so it makes a great nutrient boosted side.  I had leftovers for breakfast the next morning!  Two meals in one!

Cinnamon-Maple Quinoa


1 1/4 C water
1 C quinoa
1 TBSP margarine
1/2 C sweet potato puree
1 TBSP pure maple syrup
1/3 C milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt

1. In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil.  Meanwhile, rinse the quinoa in cold water and strain.  Add the quinoa to the boiling water and reduct heat to a simmer.  Cook for 12 minutes, uncovered.  Remove from heat, cover and let sit 5 minutes.

2.  In a separate pot, melt the margarine,  Stir in the sweet potato puree, syrup, milk, cinnamon and salt.  When the quinoa has finished cooking, stir the sweet potato mixture in.  Divide into bowls and top with additional maple syrup, if desired!

No comments:

Post a Comment