Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Weelicious Menus: A Keeper

I blogged a few days ago about Weelicous Menus.  It was a free 7 day sample of a weeks worth of meals, plus a shopping list, plus tips on how to get your kids involved in the kitchen as you prepare.  I was a little unsure how it would work for our family, but after my trial week, I'm going to keep it.  I was very pleased to see that almost all entrees had a variation to make them vegetarian--very helpful in a house where we have some meat eaters and some not.

I ended up getting two weeks worth of meals, I think it was the day I signed up for the trial.  I got the previous week's menu as well as the upcoming week's.  So I had 10 dinners to choose from.  Some I knew wouldn't go over well so I ruled the out right away, but there were quite a few that I was excited to try.  I really liked how everything was set up, very easy-to-follow directions as well as
a lot of good tips for getting kids to help in the kitchen (for each day there's a specific task that's listed for the kids to do).  It's a struggle for me to plan weekly menus for us so it's so nice to have 5 ideas emailed to me.  It just really helped keep our dinners from being the same things over and over (I also didn't ask the kids what they wanted for dinner, since that was getting not only predictable, but unappetizing.)

The meals that were sent for this week are:

Monday 
Matzo Chicken Tenders
 Maple Roast Veggies
Tuesday
Tomato, Olive, Caper Compote on Fish  or Chicken
 Cinnamon Roast Butternut Squash
Wednesday
Cold Soba Noodles

Thursday
Easy Chicken Curry
 Coconut Rice
Friday
Fish in Parchment Steamed Brown Rice
I was going to try the Matzo Chicken Tenders, but Evan vetoed it.  I did the maple roasted veggies, the cinnamon roast butternut squash and the compote (on pasta--the vegetarian option) The Thursday menu is up for tonight.  So far I've liked everything.  It's been pretty simple to prepare and has gone over well with the family.  It's all simple, whole foods that I feel good about feeding my family.  I looked at the plate I gave them the other night and I felt like I was serving a balanced, healthy meal.  Ahh, something I'm doing right!

No comments:

Post a Comment