Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Dirty Dozen

Yesterday I was at the lake again with my family and friends. I now realize this is probably the most adult interaction that I have all week, which is probably why I always come home with blog ideas...it's almost like my kids aren't providing stimulating discussion topics. We were eating some fruit yesterday and the conversation lead to organic VS conventional. SO... today's topic is the Dirty Dozen, the Environmental Working Groups list of top 12 fruits and veggies that are the most contaminated with pesticide residue. They also came up with a 12 least contaminated list. I have read in many books and articles that even if your favorite food is on the 12 least contaminated list, it's still a good idea to buy it organic. Any food that you eat a lot of (for example, our family eats about two bunches of broccoli a week) should be organic. And the winner's are...

12 Most Contaminated
  • Peaches
  • Apples
  • Sweet Bell Peppers
  • Celery
  • Nectarines
  • Strawberries
  • Cherries
  • Pears
  • Grapes (Imported)
  • Spinach
  • Lettuce
  • Potatoes
12 Least Contaminated
  • Onions
  • Avocado
  • Sweet Corn (Frozen)
  • Pineapples
  • Mango
  • Asparagus
  • Sweet Peas (Frozen)
  • Kiwi Fruit
  • Bananas
  • Cabbage
  • Broccoli
  • Papaya

1 comment:

  1. On a semi-related note, I just read an article that says apple juice has high levels of ARSENIC!

    http://community.our365.com/profiles/blogs/test-reveals-high-levels-of-as?utm_source=newsletter_all_07-28-2011&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=intro

    ReplyDelete