Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Updates

I had a smoothie and cream of millet for breakfast! I'm doing much better with my whole food diet, but not so good with time, since we were 10 minutes late for cheerleading this morning. Lunch wasn't as good, I had an Amy's burrito, which has all natural ingredients and didn't have anything in the ingredient list that I couldn't pronounce--always a good sign!

I was thinking back on older blog posts and I remembered my post about home schooling. I'm not doing so well. I really would like to, but it just seems to get lost in everything else we're doing. As I'm typing this I did realize that I'm doing little things here and there to further my kid's education and experiences. For example, today we're practicing phone manners. My dad came over with this phone system, one phone is a touch button and it's avocado green and the other is a creamy pink and it a rotary dial so I'm guessing it's from the 60s or 70s. Both phones have long cords that connect to an operator box which will ring phone right, phone left, give a busy signal and dial tone. I'm not sure what the original purpose of the phones was, but I played with them all the time when I was little and they were always SO COOL! Of course my kids are less enthused about them (my oldest looked at the rotary phone and said, "What do I DO with this?" but I've found it's been a great way to teach them phone manners. Now that they're both tall enough to actually reach the phones in our house it's time they should be able to answer them as well. So we're working on saying "Hello" when you answer, "May I ask who's calling" when they don't know who it is and "good-bye" when they're done. I'm not sure how to work on "when-the-caller-isn't-Daddy-stop-insisting-that-they-are-indeed-Daddy-and-just give -the-phone-to-Mommy" but I'm sure something will come to me. So this must be what home schooling is about--using everyday life to teach you kids. So maybe I'm not doing THAT bad..but I still need to work with my daughter on letters since I haven't run across any day to day activities that have given adequate letter recognition practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment