Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Energy Hog

So I got my electric bill the other day. Being eco-conscious I do paperless billing (good) but my bill was $300, TWICE what it was last month!!(Bad!) So what am I doing wrong!?!? I'm doing my best to make a conscious effort to conserve energy in our house. I unplug all our kitchen appliances when not in use, I make sure to turn lights out when we're not using a room, I try to keep the air off and the window's open when it's not a HOT day, I got that new HE washer, I try to use the drying rack instead of the dryer for my clothes (but I'm really not that good at this! I like to laundry at night, when it's not really the best time for line drying). So what do I need to do differently do make sure our energy bill isn't over the top?!?! I know the AC is a HUGE drain and I'll be honest, I'm not really ready to give up on that entirely, especially when it's 90 degrees out! We got a dehumidifier for the basement, which is running nonstop and STILL not sucking out all the moisture. I KNOW both of these things are huge energy drains, but THAT much?!? I'm still trying to solve this mystery. While examining my bill I noticed some fine print.
AEP Ohio Messages
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio
approved AEP Ohio's requests in Case No.
11-1361-EL-RDR to increase its Enhanced
Service Reliability Rider, in Case No.
11-1337-EL-RDR to implement its
Environmental Investment Carrying Cost
Rider, and in Case No. 11-281-EL-FAC to
adjust its Fuel Adjustment Clause. As a result
of these adjustments, a residential customer
using 1,000 kWh of electricity will see an
increase of $1.44 a month effective with this
bill.
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio in
case number 11-2473-EL-RDR on June 22,
2011, approved an adjustment to Ohio Power
Company's transmission service rates
effective with this bill. A residential customer
using 1,000 kWh of electricity will see an
increase of $1.47 per month.

So what's my kWh? 2998!!!! OK, I REALLY need to work on decreasing our energy usage! I've decided that from now on these animals are going to pull their weight around here! Does anyone know where I can buy a large dog sized wheel? Dog/Cat/Rat energy! The wave of the future!!

No comments:

Post a Comment