Monday, July 11, 2011

Garden Update

One of the first blogs I did was about the vegetable garden I planted. I know that not only did everyone read that blog, but that you have all been waiting for an update. I have a bean!!! After the rain we got a few days ago, my bean plants took of and I have one bean that's actually big enough to eat and a few more that are still growing. I have two little green pepper buds and my swiss chard is about ready to harvest for the first time. I was planning on running to the grocery store today, but NOW... When I planned the garden I didn't really have a good concept of where I was going to put the things I planted to I've kind of got a little bit of a mess out there. Plus the fact that I planted in what was a flower bed so my garden is tear-shaped, not particularly conducive to rows. I also planted the pumpkins, beans and beets from seeds. Next year I think I'll go to a nursery and buy some veggie plants since the chard and peppers are doing so well (although the spinach isn't exactly thriving and it was from the nursery.) But I'm pleased. This is what I was hoping for this season! I'm just giving it a shot and seeing how I do. Next year I'll know what I'm doing and hopefully I'll be able to plant something a little bigger (maybe even till up part of the yard in a normal garden shape!) and MAYBE I can even reach Victory Garden status and grow 40% of our veggies!

On a related topic...I'm considering growing pineapple! My oldest asked me if pineapples grow on trees...DO pineapples grow on trees? Thank God for Google! Apparently pineapples actually grow on plants, they're a member of the bromeliad family. They don't need much water and they can be started from the top of a store-bought pineapple. They do need full sun and warmer weather, so in the winter I'll have to bring it inside, which means I'll need to pot it, but I think the kids might think it's interesting to try and grow one. Here's a picture I found online of a pineapple plant. Crazy, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment