Thursday, July 14, 2011

Produce Codes

I'm just doing a quick post today. I'm being lazy. I was thinking after I posted about my shopping trip about the fun fact I read about produce codes. Now that everywhere has self-scans I think most people are more aware of the codes for the produce, since you have to key it in yourself. ANYWAY, I read that you can tell from the produce codes if the product is organic, conventionally grown or a GMO (genetically modified organism). If it's organic, it will start with a 9, coventional has one less number and a gmo product starts with a 8. SO...I have beside me a red pepper. It's produce code (PLU#) is 94688. It's organic. If it were conventionally grown it would just be 4688. If it were a GMO it would be 84688. I usually buy organic (big surprise there!) but whenever I'm looking for some produce that I cannot find in organic form, I always look for that initial 8 to make sure that it's not a GMO. Actually, I haven't found one that starts with an 8 yet... so I guess that's good news! I'm going to look at the corn this season because I have a feeling that there's a pretty good chance that's been genetially modified. Now if they would only put that on labels of EVERYTHING so we could tell if it was made with any ingredients that were generically engineered...

2 comments:

  1. This is really interesting, I am gonna start looking at the codes too. Thought you might find this interesting, if you haven't already made yourself some :) http://goddesshobbies.blogspot.com/2010/05/ecolovies-how-to-make-no-plastic-wrap.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO cool! Thanks for sharing! These would make great Christmas presents!

    ReplyDelete