Thursday, August 11, 2011

Green Missionary!

It all started with milk. I've mentioned before how much I like Hartzler Dairy's milk. It's all natural, grass fed, local, all the good stuff. I think it just tastes better. But most people I know (who are over 4 ft tall) don't drink milk. But my cousin does. So I bought her a half-gallon and sent it home with her to try. She really liked it! She also agreed that it DOES taste better than not only conventional milk, but also organic milk. It's non-homogenized and pasteurized at low temperatures to help retain as much of the "good stuff" in the raw milk. I told her I know they sell it at the Raisin Rack, but I'm not sure where else. So guess what? She decided to give it another try and go to the Raisin Rack and get some for herself! Of course you can't go in there and only buy one thing! It's too fun to check it all out...so $110 later (I never said it wasn't expensive! It's not Aldi, people!) she had a cart full of organic goodies. From the text I got, it seemed like she was a little skeptical. I understand that. That's one of the "Organic Myths" from organic.org--"organic food tastes like cardboard". I once took a casserole somewhere and proudly stated that it was all organic. (I know, can you believe it? I was droning on about organic food?!?!) Someone said, "Yuck, organic meat?!" Which confused me. Why, exactly, is organic meat gross? Because it wasn't fed pesticide laden corn (which isn't a food cows should be eating anyway... cows stomachs are designed to eat grass...eating all that corn is what causes then to get sick and need all those antibiotics that are pumped into into them, which are causing mutant strands of mega-bacteria (and yes, of COURSE that is the scientific term!), like e.coli...sorry, the vegetarian is getting off topic!) or pumped full of antibiotics, or confined to a pen, knee-high in it's own waste? Yummm! (as an aside to be certified organic beef must:

According to the USDA[1] rules passed on October 22, 2002, certified organic beef must come from a fully verifiable production system that collects information on the history of every animal in the program, including its breed history, veterinary care, and feed. Further, to be certified as organic, all cattle should meet the following criteria:

  • Born and raised on certified organic pasture
  • Never receive antibiotics
  • Never receive growth-promoting hormones
  • Are fed only certified organic grains and grasses
  • Must have unrestricted outdoor access
Thanks Wikipedia!)
Anyway, as I was saying, people seem to think that organic=bland. However, this is NOT the case! I've been getting texts from my cousin for the past few days as she tries her organic loot...and she loves it! I've done it! I've converted one person! I'm a missionary for Green! Of course just because she likes the organic products doesn't mean she's going to totally abandon everything conventional, but I'm having a rough week...can you just give me this moment, please?

No comments:

Post a Comment