Monday, August 8, 2011

Green Parties for Less/ Green Halloween

Last Thursday I "attended" the webinar I mentioned a few days ago about having green birthday parties for less. Ummm, NSG. It had good intentions, but it really wasn't what I was thinking when I signed up for it. Most of the suggestions were either things I already do (have the party between meals thereby avoid the cost of feeding everyone) or things I don't do and therefore don't need a green alternative (using refrigerator boxes to cut out huge trees for the decorations for a jungle themed party -- in our house you get a much-used "Happy Birthday" banner and that's it.) They did talk about making it more about the memories than the event--asking guests to bring only a homemade gift or card--which I like, but I'll be honest, that's a little too green for even me. I can only imagine the look on those mom's faces when they open an invite that instructs them to actually make a gift instead of picking something up at Target. The thing I liked best was this German Birthday ring that they had a picture of. It's king of like an advent wreath with 18 holes. Each hole is filled with a figurine or candle. Each year you take out one of the figurines and add a candle so on the child's 18th birthday they have a whole ring of candles. It was cool an I found one at Three Sisters for not a TON of money, but the figurines you put in were almost $5 each! The mother/daughter team that put on the webinar also has a website which looks kind of interesting, but I REALLY perked up when I heard them mention a green Halloween site! I couldn't believe it! My two favorite things! How cool! The site even did my job for me and has a little blurb to cut and paste about the Green Halloween initiative (I'm supposed to mention that the authors of the blurb "Lynn Colwell and Corey Colwell-Lipson are mother and daughter founders of Green Halloween® and co-authors of Celebrate Green! Creating Eco-Savvy Holidays, Celebrations and Traditions for the Whole Family"

Green Halloween®
The “eek-o-friendly” revolution
Who says Halloween has to be unhealthy? And who says healthy can‟t be fun? Green Halloween® is about making Halloween happy and healthy and about creating community traditions we can all be proud of.
What is Green Halloween?
Green Halloween® is a non-profit, grassroots initiative striving to create healthier, eco-friendlier holidays– starting with Halloween. Launched in Seattle in 2007 by a mother of two, the nationwide movement is all about educating and inspiring communities by showing how easy, affordable, and fun it can be to factor our earth and our health into our daily choices.
To read all about Green Halloween and find fun events near you, visit GreenHalloween.org. You can learn how to get involved locally, sign up for the super nifty newsletter, and share DIY costume ideas, recipes, and more on the brand new discussion board. There‟s even a trick-or-treat bag design contest for kids!
So forget orange and black. With upcoming events in cities across the U.S., this community initiative is adding much-needed green to Halloween. It‟s a scream!

Pretty interesting, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment