Thursday, November 17, 2011

House Plants

Well the good news is that I still have all my house plants that I bought back at the beginning of the summer. I've managed to keep them all alive and some of them are even thriving! But now that the seasons are changing, I'm going to have to do a little more rearranging and detective work with them as the amount of sunlight they get changes. Most of the plants I bought are low light, but some are medium and even high light. Those guys are going to need some attention in the winter months. I'm probably going to have to keep a close eye on them to make sure they're still looking healthy as we have fewer and fewer hours of daylight. I'll probably have to do a rotation with some of the other plants to make sure that they're getting a fair share of light. My houseplant book suggested two weeks on and two weeks off, so maybe that's a good schedule to work with. I have 4 lucky bamboo in hanging vases on my dining room wall. The other day I was shocked to see how much bigger the one closest to the window was than the one that was all the way at the other end. (Too bad I'm not in 6th grade--Science Fair Project!!) So those have already been rotated.
Besides the benefit of purifying the air, house plants are supposed to boost your mood. I have a feeling as the weather gets cold and everything outside dies and turns brown, it's going to be nice to still have some green around me inside...I just thought about the heat being turned on so I'll have to adjust my watering schedule too since they'll be drying out faster. See, we get one cold day and a forecast of snow flurries and I'm already thinking about winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment