Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Reduce Reuse Recycle

That's the mantra. I'm all for reusing and recycling, but there's still the whole process of production with that. So what I've been trying to think about all morning (as I plan my blog post is, "What can I do to reduce the amount of trash we create each week?" This is pretty timely for me since today is trash day (in that I collect the trash from around the house). We really don't have a ton of trash in the cans around the house, it's mostly in the kitchen. So that's where I need to focus. I was actually thinking the other day about how my kitchen trash can never seems to be empty. I feel like I'm ALWAYS smashing it down to fit more things into it. That makes me think that I've got a lot of things in there that can be compacted, like OJ containers and soy milk containers. So I guess I should go back to the Raisin Rack's glass milk jugs and maybe buy frozen oj concentrate?? But that seems a little more processed than fresh. I'll have to look to see if what I buy is from concentrate or not. This is probably something I should probably already know! OK, so there are two things...not too great. I also throw away a lot of papers my kids bring home from school...those should go in recycling. Still not so good. This is a lot harder than I thought! I'm already not throwing away diapers and wipes, baggies (since I use reusable bags for lunches and reusable storage containers for leftovers). I'm just going to really have to think before I throw anything in the trash can, "What could I have used instead of this that wouldn't need to be thrown away." Along with that I'll need to go back to recycling every bit of paper and plastic that I can. I've gotten into the habit of throwing away smaller boxes, like those that the razor blades come in, where I used to collapse them and put them in the recycling tub. I hope this is good for me! I feel like I've gotten away from thinking about how to live greener...I'm getting content with my current level of green. That's what my blog is about after all...getting greener.

No comments:

Post a Comment