Friday, January 6, 2012

My Diet

Well, it's the new year and just like everyone else, I'm going on a diet. My diet is a little different than most, because my goal isn't to lose weight, but just to eat better. I'm sure there's probably some other diet that I could follow, but since I'm familiar with the "What to Expect When You're Expecting" diet, that's the one I'm doing. I like how it give serving sizes and ideas for each category. It gives different food categories, and how many servings each day you should be getting. It forces me to think about everything I put in my body and I hold myself accountable by a little dry erase chart that I keep on my fridge where I make tallies all day under each category as I get a serving. The best part is that I'm not hungry on the diet. And of course the best part is that it keeps me eating whole foods. Pizza doesn't really fit under any of the categories and neither do cookies. By the time I eat all my "requirements", I don't really have room for junk anyway. And what ARE those "requirements" you ask?!?!
3 Servings of protein
4 servings of calcium
3 servings of Vitamin C
3 servings of Green Leafy vegetables, yellow vegetables and yellow fruits
2 servings of other fruits and vegetables
6 servings of Whole grains and legumes
8 glasses of water

And there it is. Those 6 servings of whole grains can be a lot, but I usually overlap them with the proteins so I'm getting my vegetarian proteins as well as my grains/legume requirements. It's a lot to eat, so I usually try to overlap my servings whenever possible.

I went to the What To Expect When You're Expecting website and found the basic pregnancy diet online. (Did I mention that's what it's called? It sounds like you'll be eating nothing but all that crazy stuff you hear mom's say they craved during pregnancy, but trust me! It's a well balanced diet!)

No comments:

Post a Comment