Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Plain Local School's Score Another Point!

I blogged a few weeks ago about how my son's school is implementing a healthy food rule, no candy as rewards, trying to do more exercise as part of the school day, etc... So I was thrilled when I read something else that they're doing right (according to me!). I was reading the lunch menu with my son, actually the breakfast menu since he only buys on pizza day...pick your battles...and I saw that the apples that they serve with school lunches and breakfasts (which I know my son picks because he's an appleholic) come from a local orchard! It's actually the orchard that my daughter's preschool visited last fall. I'm so glad that they're getting fresh (well, as fresh as apples in January can be) LOCAL produce! I've read about schools using local farms, but I didn't really think that was something my district did. Way to go Plain Local! I just hope they're not serving the apples that my daughter's class picked...I don't know what's more lethal...pesticides or preschool hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment