Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My Lunch

I had planned to share a recipe on here since I haven't done a REAL recipe in awhile (I'm not counting the snow ice cream one.) I made two things from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook by Cathe Olson. First, I made some Better Than Ginger Ale. It was pretty easy to do and I thought it was good, even though it didn't really taste much like ginger ale. It was a cup of sparkling mineral water and two teaspoons of ginger juice (coarsely grate fresh ginger root then squeeze to get the juice) and some Stevia (although you could use sugar too). It was interesting...I might use less ginger juice next time...maybe only one tsp.
I also made Soothing Mint Soup, which I've wanted to make for awhile, but I've been unable to find peppermint leaves. I finally gave up and just used the mint in the grocery store, which I'm pretty sure is spearmint, but it seemed to work ok. I wasn't sure how the flavors of this would turn out, since they're kind of odd, but I was really pleased. It was pretty quick to make, which is ALWAYS a bonus!
Ingredients:
4C vegetable stock
1 clove garlic, minced
1TBSP minced fresh ginger
1 cinnamon stick
3 green onion, thinly sliced
1C peas
1/2 C tightly packed chopped fresh mint (peppermint if you can find it!)
2 tsp soy sauce
2 eggs lightly beaten with 1 TBSP water

Directions:
In medium pan, heat first 4 ingredients over medium heat until boiling. Add next 4 ingredients and simmer for 2 minutes, then add the egg, pouring in thin stream around the edge of the pan. Stir to make thin ribbons with the egg, remove from heat, remove cinnamon stick and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment