Monday, February 27, 2012

RICE RECIPE!!!

I have to share this recipe because I'm always on the look-out for a good rice recipe and since I found one, I feel it's greedy to keep it to myself. I found it in Vegetarian Times (Jan/Feb 2012). It's called Pineapple Fried Rice. Here are the ingredients:
2 1/4 C vegetable broth, divided
1 C long-grain brown rice
1 1/4 C diced FRESH pineapple, divided
1 TBSP soy sauce
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (this will give the rice a lot of heat. I would suggest using 1/4 or less.)
2 TBSP toasted sesame oil
1/2 C diced yellow onion
2 TBSP minced garlic
1 small carrot, finely diced
1/2 C finely diced red bell pepper
5 green onions, thinly sliced

1. Bring 2 C broth and rice to a boil in medium saucepan over medium heat.
Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 40 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
2. Blend 1/2 C pineapple, remaining 1/4 C broth, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes in blender until smooth. Set aside
3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add carrot and bell pepper, and saute 3 minutes more. Add remaining 3/4 cup diced pineapple and cook 3 minutes more. Add cooked rice to skillet, and cook 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add blended pineapple mixture and cook 3 minutes more or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in green onions and season with salt and pepper, if desired.

The recipe also suggests adding 1/2 C peas and/or sliced shiitake mushrooms. I also thought diced tofu would be good, to make it into a meal. As I mentioned above, I thought the 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes made it a little too spicy. My kids couldn't eat it with that much heat. I could, but would have preferred a little less, but my husband liked it. He's also eaten the Atomic wings at Quaker Steak, so take that into consideration! You also REALLY need to use a fresh pineapple. I found that I could buy a whole pineapple for the same price I could get fresh diced pineapple. I got a whole lot more pineapple for my money with the whole. It's really easy to slice, it even gives directions on a tag that's attached to the stem. You just hack off the top and bottom, cut it in fourths, slice out the core, slice off the rind and then dice. It's really pretty fast and easy. And it's SO GOOD! I always forget how good fresh pineapple is until I try it. My oldest couldn't stay out of the kitchen, before or after dinner, because he keep needing just a few more pieces of pineapple.

No comments:

Post a Comment