Friday, October 5, 2012

Apple Pie

After I blogged about how great Honey Crisp apples are, I feel I owe you an apple pie recipe.  It's pretty basic, just out of a cookbook actually, but it feels like early fall to me so I thought it was appropriate for this week, when the weather has been warm, but with that cool fall breeze. 
My crust STILL doesn't look that good, but it's getting there!



Apple Pie

Pie Crust (I just use the Crisco recipe.  I've looked for healthier versions, but this one just tastes the best.  I have used Spectrum's Organic Shortening and that worked well too.)

6 C thinly sliced apples (I use Pampered Chef's Apple Peeler-Corer-Slicer)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 C sugar
2 TBSP flour
1 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
1 TBSP butter

Line a 9 inch pie pan with half the pastry.  Trim pastry to edge of plate.  Sprinkle apples with lemon juice.  Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Add cinnamon mixture to the sliced apples and toss to mix.  Fill the pie plate with the apple mixture and dot with butter.  Place the other half of the pie pastry on top. Cut slits to vent steam and crimp edges decoratively (this took me FOREVER to get right!)  and seal with the bottom crust.  Cover edges with foil and bake in 375 oven for 25 minutes.  Remove foil and bake 20 to 25 minutes more or till crust is golden.  Cool on pie rack.  Enjoy a slice of fall!
This was just too funny not to post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment