Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Honey Crisp Apples

I accidentally found THE BEST apples the other day!  While shopping at the Raisin Rack, I turned by back, only to find that Vince was walking over with his arms full of apples.  I usually just grab a bag or two (that's per week.  Yes, we go through that many apples!) and they're usually granny smith, gala, fuji or red delicious.  Vince had grabbed some other variety, and I didn't really take notice, until I got them home and actually tasted one.  FABULOUS!  I'm not a huge apple fan.  I like apples, but I don't really just pick one up to snack on, like Caden and Vince.  But I've eaten a ton of these because they're THAT good!  I've been sending them for Caden's snack at school and last night Evan tasted one and agrees that they're SUPER good!



Yesterday my mom went to Sunny Slope Orchard and brought home a bag of Honey Crips, so I think they're relatively easy to find.  I did a little research and found that they're kind of a new breed of apple, a cross between a Macoun and Honeygold.  According to Beckwith Orchards, they're harvested September 5-15, they're tart/sweet and very crisp and they're excellent for eating, baking and sauce.

I checked and it looks like Arrowhead Orchard, where I plan to take the kids as soon as I get a chance, this Saturday, perhaps?, has Honey Crisp too.  I'm going to buy yet another bag for my apple monsters to eat, plus a bag to make some pies.  I find it pointless to make applesauce because the boys eat so much of it so fast that it takes me longer to make it than it does for them to eat an entire batch, but maybe I will this year and freeze some for Miss Olivia when she starts solids.  

So there it is.  My Official Apple Recommendation.  Try it out.  I guarantee you won't be disappointed! 


1 comment: