Friday, October 12, 2012

Apple "Recipes"

Since it's Friday I owe you a recipe and since I've been yammering on about apples, I thought I'd stick with the theme.  However, be warned, these aren't REAL recipes.  They're actually just ideas for using apples.  I think we can all agree that the healthiest way to eat an apple is to buy an organic one, wash it well and eat it.  However, that can get a little boring, so I'm giving a few suggestions of other ways to eat apples.  One of the things I like best about Cathe Olson's book The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, is that some of her recipes aren't really recipes, they're just this-ideas for throwing food together.  So here are my two apple ideas for today. 

1. Apple rings with peanut butter and Rice Krispies.  First, you need to core the apple.  This is easily done with an apple corer, which I grabbed while at the grocery store once. 
Apple CorerOnce the apple is cored, you just slice it into rings.  Then spread on the peanut butter and dip it in a bowl, or plate filled with Rice Krispies (or organic puffed brown rice!).  Ellie really likes this one and she's not a huge apple fan.  The downside is that it's kind of hard to pack for a lunch, but it makes a great weekend lunch component or a good snack.

2. Apples with cheese.  Granny smith and cheddar seem to work best for this, but mix and match and see what you like.  Again, core and slice the apple, then add a slice of cheese and microwave for a few seconds to soften the cheese.  I like it but Ellie and Caden aren't huge fans.  Of course Vince eats it.  He eats everything!

Baby Vince with his favorite toy/food

Vince at his first birthday party.  An apple instead of a cupcake!

There is also THIS fun way to eat apples!

I don't think Ellie actually got one! But it sure was fun sticking her face in freezing water!  Again this year Nana?!?!


No comments:

Post a Comment