Friday, October 26, 2012

Recipe Friday: Creamy Parsnip Soup

It's Friday!  So here's your recipe!  It's from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, by Cathe Olson.  I love this soup because it's warm an comforting and slightly sweet, which of course I love!  The down side is I can't seem to find organic parsnips so that's the one ingredient that's not organic when I make this.  But, as I've said before, I'm doing the best I can!



Creamy Parsnip Soup

1 sm onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, diced
1 stalk celery, cut into chunks
4 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 bay leaf
1/2 strip kombu (optional)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 TBSP fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
pinch of nutmet
4 C water or vegetable stock
1 TBSP miso
1/4 C minced fresh parsley or watercress

Place onion, garlic, celery, parsnips, carrots, bay leaf, kombu, sea salt, thyme, nutmeg and stock into a large stock pot.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until veggies are tender.  Remove bay leaf.  Puree soup with miso in blender or food processor.  Serve with parsley sprinkled on top. 

Great to serve this weekend now that it's getting cooler.  Have fun trick-or-treating this weekend if your city is lame like mine and won't let you do it on Halloween Night!  (Sorry Canton!  I really do love you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment