Thursday, October 11, 2012

Breastfeeding Center and Cloth Diapers

Last week, my mother-in-law (a.k.a. Meema) and I went to The Breastfeeding Center to get some more cloth diapers for Miss Olivia.  They were Meema's gift to baby Olivia since, being the 4th, she pretty much had everything else.  I used cloth with Vince since he was a newborn until he potty-trained and I'm planning on doing the same with Liv.  Because I used the diapers SO MUCH with Vincer, some of them had to be retired, so I was in need of a few more so they'd last for more than a day.  I was expecting to just get a few more of what I already had (BumGenius 3.0) plus a diaper cover and a few Snappis (new version of diaper pins) to use with the multitude of prefold cloth diapers that I used a burp cloths for the other kids.  WOW!  A lot changes in the cloth diapering world in three years!  It was like I was new to cloth with all the different kinds they have now!  I was there WAY longer than I expected to be (sorry again, Meema!) trying to decided which ones would work for us, then picking out the prints. 
The old brands were still there, but now had updated their products, but also still had the old.  Plus, there were a few new brands to me and THEY each had a few different styles.  To spare you all the details (if you're REALLY interested, I HIGHLY suggest checking out the Breastfeeding Center yourself!) but I bought a few of the new BumGenius FreeTime, which are much easier use, because they don't have to be stuffed, like the old ones, but harder to wash, because the liners are attached so they take longer to dry.  I also got two styles from GroVia.  The first Grovia AIO  is similar to BumGenius's FreeTime, but it snaps on the side, instead of the front.  It's also a little more contoured around the legs.  I like the fit a little better than BumGenius FreeTime, but it also takes a long time to dry AND I think it's kind of hard to snap since you have to reach inside the waistband to secure the snaps.  I'm sure in time I'll be able to do it in my sleep. Literally.  I also got a GroVia Hybrid diaper, which I'm really liking!  It's kind of like a diaper cover, but you snap in the liners (which come in organic cotton!) and then just change the liner when the diaper is dirty, as long as it doesn't leak out onto the cover.   My concern was that I'd have all these liners and the first time she pooped it'd be all over the cover, then my diaper, that should have lasted me 4 diaper changes, only lasts one.  But so far, that hasn't been the case.  I have two covers and 4 liners and I'm thinking about getting more liners because I've been tossing clean covers in the diaper pail simply because I'm out of liners.  They're also contoured like the GroVia AIO, but these have velcro closure, which are AWESOME!  The BumGenius 3.0 that I have for Vince, the velcro gets a little turned up at the corners and then catches on clothes and rips off, loosening the diaper.  These GroVia velcro clasps are NOT going anywhere! They're called Hybrids because you can also buy disposable inserts to use instead of the cloth.  I was kind of confused why this would be a draw because it just kind of seems like a pain to me to have to worry about both disposable liners (where do throw them out?  They don't close like a disposable diaper?) and  cloth liners, BUT then I thought about diaper rash!  You can't use diaper rash cream with cloth diapers without using some kind of barrier between the cream and the diaper (I use a cloth wipe).  It's kind of a pain,  BUT if I had a disposable insert, I could just use the diaper rash cream with that and still use my cloth diapers!  I'm going to get a pack of the disposable inserts and try them out.  (Luckily they sell them on Vine.com!) 

ALL of my new diapers seem to be a little bulkier than the old ones too.  To be fair, they also have more layers of absorbancy (the old BumGenius only have one thickness that you stuff, which the FreeTime ones have two)  but now I can see why my friend Aimee gave up on cloth because they made her baby's butt look so big.  I'm retiring Olivia's 3 month onesies because they don't fit with the bulky cloth.  But they're not actually THAT much bulkier than the old cloth, so it's not a huge deal for me.  I know that as she gets bigger, they'll look less and less bulky on her. When you're only 11 lbs, anything is going to look big!

Now, the piece de resistance.  As I was leaving, I noticed they are selling knit hats.  I thought they were, cute picked one up and looked at it.  It took me awhile to realize what it was supposed to look like.  When I figured it out I had to buy one!  Not only is it funny, it also fits her really well!
She was mad I woke her up to take her picture!

It was hard to get a good shot while she was lying down and I had already disturbed her enough so I didn't want to get her out of her swing.

I LOVE going to the Breastfeeding Center!  It's always so welcoming and calming to be there.  I was there for so long I had to feed Olivia before we left.  It was SO nice to be able to nurse her in public without having to worry about offending anyone (although I've long since lost interest in people being offended by my nursing in public.  It's nurse or listen to a screaming baby.  I don't know anyone who would pick the latter.).  They had comfortable chairs to nurse her in, a place to change her, a scale to weigh her (although I didn't bother with that since I know she's getting enough to eat).  It's just really a cool place to check out if you're nursing, know someone that's nursing or expecting a new baby.  Even Vince loves it there!

No comments:

Post a Comment